If you are a property manager looking to protect your roof and extend its lifespan, roof coatings are an excellent option. How much do you understand about this roof maintenance solution? Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about the roof coating process – and the answers from experts who know.
9 FAQs About Roof Coating Systems
- What types of roofs can be coated? Roof coatings are appropriate for all roofs – new construction, aging roofs, and roofs that need minor repairs and preventative safeguarding. The coatings can be installed over a broad range of roof substrates, including asphalt, BUR, concrete, EPDM, metal, PVC, single ply, and SPF, among others.
- What is the composition of a highly reflective roof coating? There are three primary measurement components used to determine if a roof coating can be considered highly reflective. These include Solar Reflectance, Thermal Emittance, and the Solar Reflectance Index.
- What is the SRI? A solar reflectance index (SRI) calculation evaluates reflectance and emittance values to determine the roof’s capacity to refuse solar heat. The higher the SRI value, the cooler the temperature inside the commercial building.
- What kinds of roof coatings are available for commercial buildings? The most common coatings used for these projects are acrylic, asphalt, polyurethane, and silicone coatings.
- What are the application methods utilized for roof coatings? Application may utilize brush, roller, or spray methodologies. An expert commercial roofing contractor will recommend the best method based on materials and roof conditions.
- Is a roofing contractor necessary for applying a roof coating? Experts recommend hiring a professional and approved professional for commercial or industrial roof coating projects – specifically to protect your warranties.
- When is it appropriate to coat a new roof? Utilizing roof coatings on a new roof is useful for additional UV protection and waterproofing. Highly reflective roof coatings protect the surface of your roof against premature aging as well as sun and heat damage. Roof coating systems universally cover seams and joints for a smooth, strong, and long-lasting roof.
- Can roof coatings effectively restore an aging roof? Professional roof coating installations are an excellent way to avoid expensive and time-consuming roof tear-offs and replacement projects. Roof coatings have restored and repaired aging and failing roofs for thirty years, resolving problems such as leaks, blisters, alligorating, adhesion problems, joint and seam tears, and more.
- How long will the roof coating last? Generally speaking, roof coatings last 10 to 20 years. The lifespan will depend on the type of roof coating utilized for the project. These roof coatings can be reapplied every 10-15 years for a genuinely sustainable rooftop that will not require replacement for an extended period of time, assuming roof maintenance programs are in place.
What are the Most Significant Benefits of Roof Coatings?
- Roof coatings are cost-effective. They represent a lower overall cost as compared to conventional roof replacements. They also can reduce energy and cooling costs and roof maintenance costs while extending the total functional lifespan of the roof.
- Coatings offer a seamless, weatherproof surface that is both watertight and flexible.
- The roof coating process offers building owners a sustainable alternative. By re-coating the roof once every 10 years on average, the roof life is extended, and a tear-off is delayed. Roof coatings renew the reflectivity of the roof’s surface and provide outstanding waterproofing capabilities.
- The roof coating process will not result in major disruptions during installation. Whether a condominium or car dealership, the people living and working below the roof will not be inconvenienced by the need to vacate the building for an extended building project.
- A roof coating will increase reflectivity, which protects the roof’s surface, extends the life cycle of the roof, and offers a reduction in energy and cooling costs.
Unicoat Industrial Roofing is one of the region’s most respected and reputable roofing contractors. Call today to learn more about the difference 75+ years of combined experience makes.